Monday, June 15, 2009

"Rabbit In Your Headlights" by UNKLE featuring Thom Yorke, Directed by Jonathan Glazer


One of my favorite videos ever made. Directed by Jonathan Glazer, the music is UNKLE featuring Thom Yorke. Great story build through subtle shot edits and the amazing music. And who can deny Yorke's voice? Epic ending. I think the dude is Denis Lavant from Les Amants du Pont-Neuf, a great French film, where if my memory serves correctly, he plays the same character. The final image of the video reminds me of the Dali paintings he did later in life, such as Christ on crucifix that hangs at the National Gallery in D.C. That same quality of light. See a pristine version of this video on youtube... click here and hit the HQ button. The mega label Universal didn't "allow" embedding information on youtube so I couldn't post it above... don't get me started on the music industry. I'll just say, they, like Detroit, dug their own graves. Free potentially exponential publicity reach through the youtube posting, but they'd rather employ someone to search and destroy on the internet. How else would this video/song be known? I only saw this video years back because I had access to director reels in my past life. But the public doesn't get to see even a small portion of the great art (and commerce) videos and commercials that get made. What's the point?

Staggering statistics from an incredible book I'm reading now, Pepe Escobar's "Globistan: How the Globalized World Is Dissolving into Liquid War": only 7 companies dominate the GLOBAL film market, and only 5 companies dominate the music industry. The ramifications are scary. Orwellian.

No comments: