Saturday, July 18, 2009

Michael Jackson R.I.P.


So much has happened since even before my last entry, that I haven't been able to put my head around it all to blog so casually. First being the passing of Michael Jackson, and the ensuing global ubiquitous celebration of his life. A time marker of my generation. Finding images or songs to re-post here felt inadequate. I think his memorial service covered all ground, and I was able to mourn the tragedy of his life, and celebrate the almost mythical heights he accomplished and how much he shared, as an artist and humanitarian, in his life. If I could (embedding on youtube turned off), I would now post his "Beat It" video.

I was in 6th grade, immersed in the "Flashdance" soundtrack, and wanting to be one of the kids in the movie "Fame," recording songs with my tape recorder in front of my transistor radio of Casey Casem's Top 40 Countdown, and staying up all hours of the night to catch music videos on tv's "Friday Night Videos". God forbid I went to a friend's house with cable tv...I want my MTV! No one had cable back then, so if we found it, we hogged it. Pre-internet days, we had to sit and wait, through commercials and other songs, by the radio, by the tv, until our cherished songs were played. It was the summer of Men at Work, Hall & Oates, the Police, Irene Cara, and of course, Michael Jackson. As far as pop-music was concerned, Cyndi Lauper, Madonna, Prince, Duran Duran, and break-dancing were still half a year away. We sat in front of the radio, and then that gong came on (OMG!!!!), then that beat came on, then the unmistakable whirring sound like the dropping of a bomb, then the guitar riff. Then the video...

I will never forget seeing "Beat It". Even watching it now, it is so amazing! The narrative is so well put, this impending battle just felt so dangerous! And that it ends in a dance peacemaking?!!! But not just any old kind, it was the precise MJ kind. Yes, his dance was just that big and dramatic enough to stop war! The precision of his moves, still keeps your eyes glued. I mean, in the pool hall, WHAT IS HE DOING?!!!! And the END SCENE?!!!!! When we first saw it, there was NOTHING like it, or him. He broke shapes and conventions. Knees and legs angled in the air, hips turning in 3 directions at once, head snap turns! We went berzerk! It still makes me a little crazy with giddiness watching it now. Oh how we imitated those dance moves...dealing those deck of cards out, so effortlessly. And that jacket! The introduction of that jacket! That also made us a little berzerk. Red leather with the metal net and studs, and just irregular. Silver socks?!!! And the endless changes in the music. The dramatic guitar riffs, the heavy breaths, the hiccups, the woohoo's, and eee'hee's! The whole experience was just overwhelming: on the radio, and then the big video debut on tv! (Yes, music video "debut's" were BIG events back then, at least for me). I wish I was a fly on the wall in that studio with him and Quincy Jones. To watch those artists at work at that time in pop music history.

How MJ sang and moved, there was nothing like it. Every time that song came on the radio, with the sound at the beginning of the gong!!!... I can remember the anticipation. And then again with THAT BASS LINE!!! for "Billie Jean". And I guess what we understand now, is that his music was so intricately married to visuals, imagery, movement, fashion. It all just helped to heighten and express the dramatics of the music. It was those early days of MJ's and music videos in general that planted my love for that genre that led me to a career in that field. There is so much more to say, but it's all been said. MJ's work stands on its own. Let us continue to celebrate the work of this artist who went to the farthest reaches. Rest in peace Michael.

No comments: