Wednesday, May 13, 2009

A Dare & "Enfant Géopolitique" by Salvador Dalí

"It is not necessary for the public to know whether I am joking or whether I am serious, just as it is not necessary for me to know it myself." Salvador Dalí, 1968

Happy Birthday (a day late) Salvador! Wanted to share one of my favorite paintings, "Enfant Géopolitique" which either lives in St. Petersburg, with the gorgeous collection at the Dalí Museum, or was a part of his dizzyingly divine and ridiculously massive retrospective a few years back that I was lucky enough to have caught in Venice, of all places! Also it may be out of print, but if you can get your hands on Dalí's "Diary of a Genius," it's a must read. He has such a delicious voice. Hilarious, thorough, spiritual, theatrical... the diary is a lovesong to Gala, his wife, and an ode to poop. He's just amazing.

So... here's the dare. In the spirit of play (as in sandbox), I dare you to write a play (as in drama) with me, a conversation piece or a long joke, based on/inspired by the painting above. Or like Mad Libs. No rules. Or we'll make them up as we go along if even need be. Then we can try and structure a narrative later, or not. In any case, going for a collaborative group effort here. You can create your own character, or write in the voice of another character someone else introduced. You can add just a stage direction. A song. A sound effect. Character actions. As many items as you'd like to contribute in one shot. I'll start it off...

At rise: The dark sky illuminates dramatically as the sun burns through the passing storm clouds. We hear remnants of distant thunder getting farther and farther away. A mysterious figure dressed in red crosses the stage in a rush. A large elongated drop of blood falls in slow motion from the sky, lands on the desert floor. The blood puddle gets larger and larger. Enter Rishi, downstage. The figure in red passes through again in the distance.

Rishi: "Father! Where are you going? I'm hungry." Figure in red disappears. Rishi stops before the puddle and examines it.

3 comments:

Writercat said...

"Not blood again. It makes me feel funny."

Dave said...

Suddenly with a flash and a sound that may or may not be thunder GAMMON appears dressed in green.

Gammon: "Rishi! Only you could be hungry in these days of blood."

KAZZIECHAMELEON said...

Rishi: "Gammon, have you come to take me to the hills? I think my father is headed there. There is less blood flowing there."