Monday, May 04, 2009

"Happpy-Go-Lucky" by Mike Leigh

Ok, so here is my attempt at a blog. I've toyed with the idea of starting one. Got bored with the idea. Wasn't sure what I could blog about. But here I am and we'll see how long it'll last. It was Mike Leigh, one of my all-time director heros, who inspired this. On my way to L.A. finally got to watch Happy-Go-Lucky on Netflix DVD. If only they would show such an amazing film on the plane ("Yes Man" was playing, no thank you—although I do like the premise of it). All the actors, as in any Leigh film, were amazing. Sally Hawkins as Poppy, the heroine of this story and my new beacon saintess, won the Golden Globe and I'm outraged...how did she NOT get an Oscar nomination for this one? Anyway, I hope to see a lot more of her on the big screen. And the working class British language is just so colorful, poetic, musical, endearing. It's a world I love travelling to. What makes the story so powerful is Poppy's absolute faith in goodness. She's innocent in the deepest knowingest way. A Pure Faith. And through her, we are able to see the violence that tugs; the violence of the human condition, that rubs up against her, despite her rosy outlook on life. What an exploration.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Kazzie Chameleon - Thank you for this post. I can't wait to watch the film. This weekend, for sure.